Monday, March 19, 2012

Edwardian Hair: The Downton Look


I was looking at Miss Mary's hair from Downton Abbey, season one, and realised it's a lot like my hair when I was dressed as a nymph for halloween. Given I never got around to doing a hair tutorial for it, I figured it might be fun to share this ‘do with you, especially given that season one of Downton was set 100 years ago this year exactly!

I think this hair do looks pretty swell, and is quite easy to achieve on hair that's longer than shoulder length.

So let's begin, shall we?

You'll need:
A hair brush or comb
Lots of bobby pins
Hair spray
A sparkly hair clip (My Edwardian clip came from Jean Jean Vintage)
1. Start by side parting your hair whichever side you prefer. Separate a section at the side of the hair that is thinner and loop it upwards towards your head. Do not twist it though. You just want to pull it upwards. Pin it up with crossed bobby pins.

2. On the other side of your hair, take the front section and loop upwards, cross pining it to the side of the head above your ear to mirror the other side.

3. With the rest of your hair that is out loose, take the section of hair behind your ear, and loop upwards. It should be passed over your hand, the ends left to hang on the side away from your face. Pin it from either direction into the underneath, leaving the excess to fall down into the main part of the hair.

4. Repeat on the other side. You want these pieces to look loose and voluminous, just like it does here.

5. Work your way around your hair, keeping the loops going around your hand and looking nice and full as you pin them.

6. When you get to the final section of hair, and wrap the whole length around your hair so you have a nice looped piece of hair, then twist it so it is on it's side so you can pin inside it just like all the other sections.

7. Add enough pins to secure the look where necessary and tidy any loose bits up.

8. Hair spray your hair down, then add beautiful Edwardian hair clip at the back for some razzle dazzle!

Ta da, Edwardian hair! Let me know how you go or if you need any clarification. Any other 'dos you want to try? Email me or leave a comment!

Love WTP x
 
P.S. If you feel that your hair isn't thick enough for this, but stuffing your hair with wool seems a bit odd and impractical, I find that taking the hair off your brush and using that is quite good. It colour matches your hair so it doesn't matter if it shows through!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I know I've seen your hair in pics before but golly it's long! :) Your tutorial makes me want to have long hair… almost! ;)

Wild Tea Party said...

Haha yeah it's very long. It's about 25 inches from roots to ends - so it hangs past my waist. It's sort of an entity in it's own right lol.

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial! Did you ever see the series "Edwardian Country House"? I'm pretty sure Edwardian ladies used to use sheep's wool to give their hair extra volumn at the back ...
Kel xo

Anonymous said...

Obviously your method if more appealing :)

Unknown said...

Very cute very very cute! I wish my hair was long so I can try this, but I'm gonna pin it to my pinterest to go back to when I have long hair!

Nora

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial, I've been wanting to try this. I might need the sheeps wool though! My hair is long, but terribly thin.

Anonymous said...

This is excellent!I was wondering if you could do a tutorial for another Downton Abbey character. It's for Lady sibyl and I think this is from Season 2 since I haven't had the time to check which episode it's from. But I'm going to the opera in a few months and I want to wear my hair up like this with the silver ornament in it. If you could do a tutorial for it that would be so awesome and I would be grateful for it. http://rebeccapriscillachase.blogspot.com/2012/01/downton-abbey-season-two-long-wait-is.html

Here's the one I'm talking about. I'm sure there are some back views on the episode it's from but I haven't found them online yet. I look forward to see what you come up with. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Very Good Job.Thanks Admin.


HD Wallpapers

Unknown said...

So nice ! Thanks for sharing this post. Have you another site about sishair like sishair.com, share with us. Thank you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...