Saturday, March 13, 2010

What I found...

Well, it's Saturday night, I am laying here with a full belly from a birthday dinner, and I am drinking a nice cup of Evening Tea from T2.

I had a higgle-de-piggle-de day between the car break down, the thrifting, and doing work. But the thrifting was so successful, if not a little crazy. It was a half off sale on all clothing, and every woman, man and his dog had turned up to take their look around. Most people were buying junk though, random bits of crockery and old Millers T-Shirts. Not me, I was looking for gold. I think I did pretty well to get away with spending $36 and filling two bags (for the etsy store, promise!) I did buy three things however that I plan on keeping.

Look at this spectacular 50s brooch! I had picked it up intending it to be for the shop. I even thought that as I was shooting it this afternoon. And then I pinned it onto my cardigan, and well, I can't part with it. It's so lovely. It's even got a safety chain attached with a seperate pin. And it's so perfectly designed.
When the shop volunteer saw me pick it up she asked if I liked fifties clothing. I explained I very much did and she asked if I went to the Love Vintage fair at Canterbury. Why yes, I do, I told her. She grinned. We've got some 'good' stuff coming on to the floor soon *winkwink*.

This lovely 70s mint green scarf. All their scarves were half off as well, so I picked up about 8 or so, and only realised when I got home that two weren't of saleable quality (I miss a hole in them), and I'm keeping this one for myself because I love the minty green.

I also found this lovely mauve pencil skirt. It's got a lovely sheen to it, and I suspect it was hand made. It did come with a matching suit jacket, but it's on the ugly side of eighties. And yet this pencil skirt is perfect, and I'm so happy it fits me comfortably.

But perhaps my best find, and this is for the etsy store, is this wonderful formal gown/bridesmaid dress. This photo doesn't do it justice, and you can't see the wonderful in-built crinoline. But it is too big for me (thankfully) as otherwise I'd wear it everyday (yeah, with gumboots). I had actually noticed it last time I went in and thought the price was a bit too steep, but when I saw it was half price, well, then I could justify it. I can't wait to shoot it properly. Whoever 'Kath' was wore a great dress (yes, there's a name label inside, which makes me suspect it was a bridesmaid dress).

Anyway, wishing everyone a lovely rest of your weekend. I'll do another etsy preview during the week. Fingers crossed my store will go up just before Easter.

Love WTP x

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh...that brooch IS nice. i take back any negative comments i made about your thrifting.....

Sam said...

That brooch! I adore a bit of sparkle and that brooch is enchanting! Well spotted! Love your other finds too.

Many happy returns for your B'day too Ellen - I hope you had a wonderful day!

Wild Tea Party said...

To LN: Gee, thanks. I'm glad you finally see the sanity in my madness :P Now eat your words!

To Sam: I will definately let you know when the store goes up. And don't worry, I'll be sure to include many sparkly jewels!

Jen said...

Great finds!! I'm in Sydney now (loving the warm weather, but do tell about this vintage fair in Canterbury!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...