Monday, November 2, 2015

The Figure Eight bun: hair tutorial


What, November, where did you come from? October flew past me in a blur of stomach bug, magazine deadlines, Shabbat dinners, and Halloween fun (Check out IG for those pics!). So with Melbourne Cup day tomorrow, racing season in full swing and school formals and Christmas parties on the horizon, I figured now would be a good time for this Figure Eight bun tutorial. I love this bun and do it frequently in various forms. It works well for sculpting around hats especially as you can spread and shape it how you like. I admit it was hard to shoot though because it's quite a repetitive technique that's hard though to capture on camera but I have made a short video on IG that shows the technique and is linked below. 

You'll need:
  • Shoulder or longer length hair to create the figure 8s. 
  • A brush
  • A hair tie
  • Bobby pins
  • Hair spray (optional)





1. Start by putting your hair in a ponytail. I went off to the side as I wanted to shape it for some hats, but you can place it central and high or low! central looks great with some hair clips tucked into the top. 

2. Take a section of hair, about half an inch thick, and create a loop, pulling the hair end through, then feeding the end again through the second loop. This is easier to communicate in the pictures and video which is HERE

3. Pin the loop where you want the bun to be, through the top of the loop, ensuring the ends of that section aren't poking out. 

4. Repeat until the bun starts to take the shape you want, starting at the sides and working back into the centre. 

5. Add extra pins where necessary to make it sit the way you want. 

6. Once done you can hair spray if you so choose. 

7. Add whatever hats you please! The versatile part of this look is you can shape it around whatever head piece you like - even hair flowers!

Please let me know if you try this one out or let me know if you need more clarity. 

Love WTP x

2 comments:

Lavender and Twill said...

Welp, I can't do it because my hair is too short, but this is a stunning hair style and I think it looks amazing! Thanks for sharing WTP. :D ❤

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

Silver Cat Tea Party said...

So gorgeous! I definitely will have to give this one a try! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...